A Living Will is more technically referred to as Advance Medical Directive or a Health Care Declaration. It is a document that contains your written instructions about what level of medical treatment you would like to receive in the event that you were unable to express your wishes verbally.
People are often reluctant to discuss their wishes with their family because of the negative connotations such discussion may have. Making a Living Will can bring peace of mind to you and to your loved ones. It is often seen as the bench mark for people who have fully placed their affairs in order.
A Last Will & Testament deals with matters of property and money, but only when you die. A Living Will deals with your health and personal care during your lifetime.
Without a Living Will it is probable Social Services, Professional carers and Doctors will make decisions on your behalf.
A Living Will stipulates the measures you wish to be taken to keep you alive. It can also be very specific about what treatments you want, depending on your condition. It will specify whether you wanted to donate your organs. It will take the pressure off family members to make difficult medical decisions regarding your care.
A Living Will can also explain your likes and dislikes and include anything that is important for you. It allows you to say how you would like to be looked after and cared for and will be used if you ever lose the ability to make or communicate your own decisions. The preferences you express within your Living Will can include:-
– Where ideally you would like to be cared for, e.g. your home, a care home or a hospice
– Your dietary requirements
– Foods you do and don’t like
– Whether you prefer baths or showers
– What kind of clothes you prefer to wear
– The type of music you like and what you like to watch on TV
– Whether you like to sleep with a light on
– How you like your day to be planned, such as your bed time and whether you’re an early riser or prefer a lie in
– Your religious or other beliefs and values
– Who you want to be consulted about your care
– Who you would like to visit you
We provide professionally drafted and fully insured Living Wills at very reasonable prices.
34 Clarence Street, Southend-On-Sea, SS1 1BD
Telephone: 01702 414 100